Agricola Leuta Malbec 2019
- Aging: 15 months in French oak casks with differing characteristics to assure complexity and richness
- 2 additional months in steel, 9 months in bottle
- In the glass: deep ruby red
- On the nose: intense black cherry, pomegranate and plum with a touch of raspberry and raisin, complexed by an evident gravel minerality and a balsamic dill
- In the mouth: intense but delicate, with medium body and good acidity. Blackberried and blueberries, combined with elegant mocha and chocolate.
At Leuta, since it’s foundation in 2000 Denis Zeni has striven to have as low a carbon footprint as possible. In 2000, he adopted a clean approach to agriculture. Since the day 1, they have been fully Organic and are now entering the process to become certified. Since the 2005 vintage, Leuta adopted a vegan approach to vinification. They are going to eliminate the use of every other material needed in the vineyard/cellar such as leather gloves, leather boots and so on in order to be even less invasive on the environment. Although they use some organic manure to amend the soil but will continue to search for a substitute.
In the cellar, they recently made an agreement with www.lifegate.it a company that guarantees to produce energy only from environment friendly resources. For the vineyard, they are building a little photovoltaic facility that will be more than enough to provide the energy for operations.
Starting with the vintage 2015 bottling, labels are FSC certified paper, GMO free, contains 30% post-consumer recycled waste and is produced with EKOenergy, resulting in a 20% reduction in carbon footprint. Corks, bottles and sleeves are already certified for vegan use.